It is easy to get confused about what you really need for your baby in those early days and weeks, but here are some of the essentials you will need:
- Disposable or cloth nappies (for non-disposable you will also need nappy pins, nappy liners, a bucket with a lid and nappy sterilising powder or liquid for sterilising nappies, four pairs of plastic pants that are either tie-on or elasticated).
- For nappy changing: cotton wool, a plastic changing mat, , barrier cream to prevent nappy rash and a bag to carry everything in when you are out and about.
- For bathing: a baby bath or large clean bowl, unperfumed soap and two soft towels.
- For sleeping: a crib, carry cot or mosses basket, a firm mattress, sheets and light blankets (pillows and duvets are unsuitable for babies under the age of one-year-old because of the risk of suffocation).
- For feeding: front-opening nursing bras, breast pads (if breastfeeding) or 6 bottles with caps, sterilising equipment, a bottle brush and infant formula milk (if formula feeding).
- Baby clothes: six stretch suits, two cardigans, four vests, a shawl or blanket to wrap your baby in, a wool hat, mittens, socks or bootees and a sunhat.
- Out and about: a pushchair or baby carrier and a car seat if you drive.