The Liverpool Centre for Genomic Medicine is working hard to ensure that for all patients, that it is appropriate for, we offer a telephone or virtual clinic appointment during the Covid-19 pandemic. However, many of our patients will need to be seen in person and those patients will receive a letter to let them know that their appointment will be arranged once we are able to offer face to face appointments again.
For patients with rare diseases there is some excellent information leaflets available from the charity Unique: https://www.rarechromo.org/ and from the British Society of Genomic Medicine:
- An overview of Covid-19 and rare disease
- What makes a person more vulnerable to Covid-19?
- Understanding your risk from Covid-19 id you have a rare disease
- What should I do if I am an extremely vulnerable person?
- What to do if you have symptoms that could be due to Covid-19
- I am worried about letting my carer/my child's carers into my home - what should I do?
The role of genetics in healthcare is one of the most rapidly expanding areas of development. Liverpool Women’s provides a regional genetics service known as the Merseyside and Cheshire Genetics Service - serving a population of around 2.8 million people across Merseyside, Cheshire and the Isle of Man.
It comprises our Liverpool Centre for Genomic Medicine (LCGM) service as well as our Laboratory Services. The telephone number on the top right hand side of this page relates to the Liverpool Centre for Genomic Medicine (LCGM) only. Please refer to the Health Professionals section for contact details for Laboratory Services.
What we do
Our main role is to diagnose and counsel families with possible or known inherited disorders. We receive referrals for families who have or at risk of a having a genetic condition. Our team of specialists support families by providing:
- An accurate diagnosis
- Information about how a genetic condition may develop
- Assessments on the risk of transmitting a genetic condition
- Support for families with understandable information and counselling
Where we work
Liverpool Centre for Genomic Medicine (LCGM) and our Laboratory Services are located within the Crown Street site of Liverpool Women's.
Just a little note to say thank you so very much for all your help and kindness during my gene testing. You were so understanding and reassuring and I really appreciate everything you have done.
Links & Downloads
- Genetics Laboratory User Leaflet
- Glossary of Terms
- Liverpool Centre for Genomic Medicine (LCGM) - A guide to your referral
- Dominant Inheritance
- Recessive Inheritance
- X-Linked Inheritance
- Antenatal Screening Choices
- Cancer Research UK
- Genetic Alliance
- NHS Choices
- Patient UK for Support Organisations