This week, 17th to the 23rd October 2021 is International Infection Prevention Week, the theme this year is ‘Make Your Intention Infection Prevention’ because now more than ever infection prevention is so important.
Infection prevention is everyone’s responsibility, and we all have a role to play to keep ourselves and others safe.
Her are just a few of the ways you can help to keep yourself and others around you safe from infection:
- Hand hygiene - Wash or sanitise your hands more frequently especially as you come into and leave the hospital. Make sure you wash your hands with soap and water after using the toilet.
- Get vaccinated - Having a flu and covid vaccine are safe and effective ways to help protect yourself and others.
- Wear a face mask – in crowded and enclosed spaces where you may come into contact with people you don’t usually meet. If attending the hospital you will be asked to wear a mask during your visit.
- Keep testing – regular twice weekly lateral flow testing can help reduce the spread of covid-19 - order your free tests from gov.uk
- Catch it bin it kill it – use tissues to catch your cough or sneeze, then dispose of your tissue and clean your hands as soon as possible.
- Stay at home - if you are sick and seek medical attention if required.
- Remember to keep your environment clean.
“Let’s make infection prevention your intention this autumn and winter”