Skip to main content

Feedback, Suggestions & Complaints


0151 702 4353


At Liverpool Women’s we are continually working to ensure that our women, babies and their families have a positive experience. We aim to provide the highest standards of care and facilities to all our patients and visitors.

We accept that sometimes you may have some comments, suggestions or complaints about your experience that you wish to share with the Trust. We welcome your feedback to help the Trust continually improve the services we provide.

We have a flexible process in place to assist our patients and visitors if they have any comments, suggestions or complaints they wish to bring to the attention of the Trust.

There are a number of ways you can do this:

  • Verbally

    Often the best way of raising a concern is to speak to a member of the ward or department staff, or if you wish you can ask to speak to a Manager or Matron. In many cases the matter can be promptly resolved to your satisfaction.

  • PALS

    Our dedicated PALS Team based at Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust, Crown Street, Liverpool, L8 7SS are here to help you with any comment, suggestions or complaints and would welcome your feedback. There are a number of ways you can contact the team:

    Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4pm

    • You can telephone them on 0151 702 4353

    If they are away from their desk when you call, please leave your name and contact details and a member of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.

    You can ask at the hospital’s main reception to contact someone from PALS to come and discuss your concerns with you.

    • Outside of these hours you can:

    Use the same number to leave your contact details or leave them with the receptionist. The Team will contact you on the next working day. 

    • Contact the duty manager via the main hospital switchboard on 0151 708 9988
  • In writing

    If you prefer to put your comments or suggestions in writing or make a formal complaint please send them by email: or post to:

    Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust
    Crown Street
    L8 7SS

    If you wish to make your formal complaint directly with the Chief Executive or if you are not satisfied with the process or outcome following your contact with the PALS Team please write to:

    The Chief Executive,
    Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust, 
    Crown Street,
    L8 7SS

    It will help if you can tell us:

    • Your full name, address and telephone number 
    • Your preferred method of contact – in writing, telephone, email 
    • Your patient hospital number 
      (if known)
    • The dates of your stay in hospital or outpatient appointment/s
    • The ward or department concerned and the names of any relevant personnel
    • Details of your complaint

Feedback about our services on Patient Opinion

Questions and Answers

  • Will details of my complaint be held on my hospital records?

    No. All information and details of complaints are held by the PALS/Patient Experience Team. Your patient hospital notes will not contain any information to indicate that a complaint has been made.

  • Do complaints need to be made within a certain time limit?

    The Trust will investigate complaints that are made within 12 months of an event. Every effort will be made to answer questions received about care before this time but it may not always be possible to answer your specific questions.

  • Are complaints treated in confidence?

    Yes. The Trust respects patient confidentiality at all times. 

  • What do I do if I need help dealing with a concern or a complaint?

    If you would like help when making a complaint, staff at n-compass - Liverpool Advocacy Hub would be happy to assist. The Hub is an independent and confidential single point of contact which will provide information, advice, and support to the public on issues relating to the Health Service. You can contact them at:

    You can contact them at:

    Liverpool Advocacy Hub

    Head Office

    Unit 1, Edward VII Quay

    Navigation Way


    PR2 2YF

    It is recognised that patients do, at times, wish to make a complaint but they may feel too unwell or unable to deal with the matter themselves. In such circumstances, we would be willing to accept a complaint from a close relative, e.g husband, wife, son, daughter on the condition that a written consent, signed by you, is provided stating that you have nominated a named person to act on your behalf in respect of the complaint.

    In cases where a patient is incapable of providing consent, a close relative or next of kin may be accepted as the complainant.
  • What happens if I make a complaint to the Chief Executive and I am dissatisfied with the response?

    The Trust will make every effort to make sure we investigate your concerns thoroughly and answer your questions. If you remain dissatisfied, you may wish to refer your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is not obliged to investigate every complaint, with the decision on any action being entirely at his/her discretion. It should be noted that the Ombudsman would not usually review a case that has not been through the NHS Complaints Procedure, as detailed in this leaflet, or a case that is being handled by solicitors or the courts.