We use DNA analysis techniques on blood samples to carry out testing for a wide range of genetic disorders. Full details of all the tests available and the turnaround times are in our directory of tests for both inherited and acquired disorders. Please contact the laboratory if the test you require is not listed in our directory.
The types of investigation include:
- Confirmation or exclusion of a diagnosis for inherited and acquired disorders
- Carrier testing and risk assessment in families with a known genetic disorder
- Presymptomatic or predictive testing in individuals at risk of a late-onset genetic disorder
- Prenatal diagnosis of genetic conditions, where appropriate
- Pharmacogenetic testing to determine drug treatment options
The laboratory offers testing for a range of ‘core’ disorders plus a set of more specialist services for which samples are received on a supra-regional or national basis.
The laboratory is also a member of the UK Genetic Testing Network (UKGTN) and we can forward DNA samples to other UK genetics laboratories for testing of a large range of single gene disorders, where appropriate. Contact UKGTN or our laboratory for full details. Details of services for rare disorders not currently available in the UK are available from Orphanet and GeneTests as well as our laboratory.